Sunday, September 12, 2010

Picking up [the] sticks


I keep my knitting in a bag next to the living room sofa, mainly in the hopes that while I am watching the nightly news I *might* pick it up and get myself through a few rows. I started these socks [Spring Forward] last March, and I chugged along quite well....down the leg, the heel flap, turning the heel, and then somewhere after the gusset, halfway through the foot, I put them down and and haven't done a thing.

I hate putting down knitting for so long. That knitting bag glares at me for weeks, that turn into months, and then when I pick it up again, I have to remember where I was. I was this close to ripping out the entire sock.


What stopped me? That pattern. I love that pattern. I must have picked it up and put it down 12 times yesterday. I, like many, was once again glued to the t.v. yesterday, as I am every year on the anniversary of September 11. [I refuse to blog on that day because I feel like anything I could possibly say is so insignificant to the event itself.] I didn't get much done yesterday in the way of knitting, there was just too much to think about. But today was a good day to pick it all up again and push myself through a few repeats.


So today, a beautiful fall day here in Southern California, I've picked up my sticks again. The sock lives on. There may even be a second one in my future.