Sunday, September 05, 2010

Currently Reading: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like biting into a good, thick book during a long holiday weekend. And I'm so happy that my long weekends are no longer filled with producing as much inventory as possible for the upcoming holidays. No. Long weekends are for relaxing and reading (and laundry of course, but that's a given).

I've been waiting a long time for Jonathan Frazen to write another book. Eight years ago I devored The Corrections - a fantastic story about a wildly dysfunctional family. I love dysfunctional families. I love reading about dysfunctional families. Because I think everyone thinks their own family is wildly dysfunctional, but really, they aren't. All family's are strange and quirky and everyone has their own Uncle Buck hidden away somewhere.

So I've settled in for the three days of blissful laziness to read Franzen's latest dysfunctional family epic, Freedom. I'm not very far, and it took me a while to reacquaint myself with his writing style, but so far, I'm content, and cringing at the antics of yet another set of fictional characters going off the deep end. It's good. Really good.

On another note: Scott & I ran to theater yesterday afternoon to cool off and watch my boyfriend, George, in his newest movie, The American. Huge disappointment. Y A W N.